CARLETON DECRIES ARMS WITHOUT WAR IN FORENSIC WIN

Duniway, Lium, and Johnson Compose Winning Team--Edward Is Presiding Officer

The question: "Resolved, That the United States cease to protect with armed forces. American investments in foreign lands without prior declaration of war" was successfully upheld by a trio of debaters from Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, against the University team last night in Paine Hall. The decision given by the audience favored the Western speakers by a two to one ratio.

Both the affirmative and the negative admitted that protection of American interests in foreign lands was necessary, but on the one hand the affirmative contended that this protection should not be afforded until the possibilities of arbitration had been completely exhausted and even then only after a formal declaration of war by congress. On the other hand the negative argued that such intervention at the command of the president was not only more effective, but more easily handled and less liable to entail serious results. This distinction between armed intervention at the instigation of the president, and formal war sanctioned by congress developed into the main issue on which the result of the debate hinged. Naturally enough, the greater part of the examples cited were taken from the relations between the United States and Spanish America where the present situation is so acute. But V. K. Kwong '29 introduced a divergent note by discussing at some length the recent Communist uprising in Nanking, China, and its attendant difficulties for American authorities.

The affirmative team in the order of speaking was as follows: B. S. Duniway, Rolf Lium, and Herman Johnson; while the negative was composed of R. F. Courtney '29, J. K. Fairbank '29, and V. K. Kwong '29. The first affirmative speaker opened the debate with a ten minute speech and closed it with a five minute rebuttal, while the other five speakers had 15 minutes each in which to bring forth their arguments.

Roy Edwards of the Canadian Club of Boston presided, and threw the floor open for discussion immediately after the close of the last speech.