DEBATE ON STADIUM COMMANDS INTEREST OF FOOTBALL MEN

Debating Union to Use Parliamentary System at Meeting--Event Will Take Place March 20

M. A. Cheek '26, former Crimson football captain, will speak in support of the question: "Resolved, That this house favors the enlargement of the Stadium to a seating capacity of 80,000 people" in the debate on Tuesday evening, March 20, under the auspices of the Debating Union, it was announced last night. A. R. Sweezy '29 is the only other speaker who has been definitely chosen, but several other tentative selections have been made. It is expected that many members of the 1927 football team, including Captain-elect A. E. French '29, will be present, and one of them will speak. The Student Council has also been asked to send its representative. No decision on the question of enlarging the stadium has yet been made by the Board of Overseers.

In accordance with the policy of the Debating Union, this debate will be parliamentary rather than formal. By this means, it is believed that more students will feel free to express their views, and thus a representative poll of the undergraduate feeling in regard to the Stadium question will be made. Several graduates also will probably attend and express their views, for the decision on this question affects them more vitally than the undergraduates, especially in regard to the obtaining of tickets.

Every undergraduate and alumnus is asked to express his reason for enlarging the Stadium or keeping it as it is, and is allowed five minutes for the speech. Each man, according to the parliamentary system, upon entering the room chooses his side, the "ayes" placing themselves on the right hand of the chairman, L. T. Grimm '29, who will preside in the speaker's chair. Cheek, representing the affirmative, will open the debate by putting the motion before the house. As mover of the motion, he also has the privilege of speaking last. After he has concluded, representatives of either side speak alternately, having been first recognized by the chair.