WHAT! NO WOMEN?

Tabloid newspapers may be rescued from their present rather ignominious condition among the elite if the plans of A. P. Moore, former U. S. Ambassador to Spain, are realized. The Hearst tabloids in New York, and Boston have passed into the hands of the ex-Ambassador, and with them he intends to show the true possibilities of that most modern type of journalism. The use of pictures to give the news of the day has no essential disadvantage, and under a management that would eliminate the stress now laid by them on sordid and sensational items they can be of real value to the thinking public, according to Mr. Moore.

Before entering the diplomatic service, Mr. Moore was engaged for many years in newspaper work with considerable success, and he is well qualified to make this attempt to redeem the tabloid. But the chief reason for the remarkable growth of the tabloid press to the point where some one of its members has the largest circulation in most of our large cities is the fact that they appeal to a class of readers that the orthodox papers did not touch. This was due to the fact that they did feature the type of news which this additional body of readers wanted and which the more dignified publications did not undertake to supply. While such an attempt as this is praise, worthy in every way, it is difficult to see just where the new style tabloid would fit in the scheme of things. The inevitable loss of circulation due to the suppression of the more sensational items of news could only be made up by invading the domain of the legitimate newspaper, and in that field competition is already too keen to offer much hope to a new comer.