OVEREMPHASIS

Washington and Jefferson College recently encountered a difficulty from which Harvard has thus far been blessedly free. Among the candidates for next year's football team were three men of exceptional scholastic ability. That in itself was not unusual. But the three men had too great ability, and they are now unavoidably going to receive their degrees this spring, having completed their college requirements in three years.

The situation is one which the football coach does not often encounter. Instead of beseeching his men to keep off pro to stay in college he has to beg them to neglect their work to accomplish the same end. Public spirited members of the faculty are wondering why on earth they gave that football man an A instead of an E. The student body is holding informal parties in the rooms of the erring football men in vain attempts to lower the abominated high grades. Everybody, with three exceptions, is doing his best to remedy the disgraceful situation. Meanwhile the three scholars are wondering just how they are going to earn their living when they leave college this spring.