AT PARTING

The adjective of "harried" has come to be a banality, so often has it been applied to the Senior. In the crush of these for distinction, divisional examinations, tutorial conferences, and job hunting something has had to be sacrificed. The opening by Doctor G. H. Maynadier of the competition for Commencement speaking parts brings to mind one of those traditions which hectic times have forced into an undeserved subordination.

The men who have responded to the introduction of the presiding officer of the Commencement Day exercises have included many names that were to become famous. Scholars, historians, playwrights, statesmen, and even chief executives of the nation have thought it their first honor. Since 1642 Commencement Day parts have been spoken, a tradition that it is safe to say has no rival in the United States.

Though nothing may become the college life of a Senior like the leaving of it, it is still clear that the competition for Commencement speaking parts affords others than Phi Beta Kappa men opportunity for a last gesture. Many traditions that have no justification, even as adornment, in the swift life of a busy university may sink to a deserved death in the Lethe stream, but that one of the fine appurtenances of the student's farewell to his college should fall into innocuous desuetude is a condition to be deplored, and remedied.