NEW SWIMMING POOL PRESENTS PROBLEMS

Construction on University Tank to Start in Few Months--Contemplated Dimensions Are 75 by 60 Feet

In view of the fact that Harvard is inexperienced in the construction of swimming pools, a questionnaire is being sent out by the Harvard Athletic Association to the colleges and institutions which have aquatic tanks in order to procure information useful in the designing of the new university pool, it was announced last night by H. S. Thompson '99, Graduate Treasurer of the H. A. A.

As there are only two pools in the immediate vicinity of Boston the Athletic Association considers it advisable to try to profit from the experience of other institutions. The statement made by J. L. Knox '98, in charge of the questionnaire, was as follows: "This questionnaire we are sending out will be as complete as possible, and ought certainly to get some results in the form of valuable suggestions. It will include such problems as construction, purifying, chemicals to be used, and even location. It will help us in several ways. In the first place, we will be able to make many innovations, to adopt suggested changes that would otherwise be impossible. Secondly, we will be able sooner to arrange for the actual planning. One seldom realizes what a difficult task the building of a swimming pool is. There is quite complicated machinery involved and many State laws of health which must be followed."

Construction on the swimming pool will probably begin in the late spring or early summer on or near the site of the present Freshman Athletic Building, which will be moved. The pool will be about 75 feet long by 60 feet wide and will receive illumination directly through a large sky light.