DISTANCE TEST ORDERED FOR NEW CRIMSON CREWS

FRESHMAN ROWING PROSPECTS ARE PROMISING

This afternoon at 4 o'clock, the newly seated University first and second crews will have their initial trial race over the Henley distance. If the weather conditions are good and the wind favorable, Coach E.J. Brown '96 will have his two eights compete on the Charles River Basin.

Yesterday, and the day before, the two crews pulled up-stream. On Thursday, there were a series of short sprints, all of which the first crew won by a few feet. Yesterday, the two eights took the water at different times and, because of the race scheduled this afternoon, the workout was light.

Coach C.S. Heard '25, who has just recovered from a slight attack of grippe will put his men through a full length race also, if there is not a heavy wind in the Basin.

Coach H.H. Haines of the Freshman crew has been spending the past few days giving his men individual instruction. It is, as yet, uncertain when he will have his first three shells race. The prospects for a strong first-year contingent this season are unusually good, a number of the candidates having had preparatory school rowing experience.