HARVARD AND YALE SCHOLARS ENGAGE IN BATTLE OF WITS

Ten in Cambridge and Ten in New Haven to Compete--Victors Win Books for Their University

Ten men representing the University will compete with Yale this afternoon in what is believed to be the first intercollegiate scholastic contest ever held. This is the first of a series of scholastic competitions made possible by a recent gift of $125,000 from Mrs. William Lowell Putnam.

A three-hour examination on English literature, prepared by a committee consisting of Professor C. G. Osgood of Princeton, two Harvard professors, and two Yale professors, will be taken simultaneously at Cambridge and New Haven by the contestants. The neutral judges, Professor Osgood, Professor A. K. Potter of Brown and Professor J. O. Adams of Cornell, will decide on the award of the prize. The victorious team will win for its college library $5000 worth of books, besides which individual prizes will be given to the members of the team.

The ten men comprising the Harvard team are J. E. Barnett '28, H. T. Dolan '28, J. L. Lane ocC., J. D. Merriam '28, L. J. Rittenband '29, R. T. Sharpe '28, R. T. Sherman '28, Harold Strauss '28, and E. C. Wilkins '28. The alternates are G. B. Bingham '28, and C. H. Hartwig '28. Yale will be represented by D. H. Ballous, J. M. Berenstein, T. W. Copeland, J. S. Eels Jr., P. H. Gray Jr., R. A. Huntingdon Jr., J. K. Jessup, S. F. Kennedy, J. F. Rettger, and G. H. Washington, with G. B. Berger Jr., D. G. Gerg, R. L. Gilpatrick, and L. S. Pratt as alternates.