PFORZHEIMER PICKED AS COXSWAIN OF CREW

HERRICK DONATES NEW POCOCK SHELL; TO BE RIGGED

By vote of the members of the first University crew on Saturday evening, Carl Howard Pforzheimer '28 of Purchase, New York, was chosen as coxswain of the Harvard eight.

Pforzheimer is a graduate of the Horace Mann School of New York City and since entering the University has been regular helmsman for the 1928 Freshman crew and a leading contestant for the position in the University boat for two years.

The competition for the coxswain's post this spring has been between four men: R. W. Herr '28, J. H. McCollum '28, Pforzheimer and L. L. Wadsworth '30. The balloting on Saturday occurred in Newell Boathouse after the first crew had returned from an hour's work-out down stream, and was narrowed down to Herr and Pforzheimer. Herr was chosen for the Junior University boat.

The choice of coxswain for the 150-pound oarsmen will be between McCollum and Wadsworth and will be decided in the same way by a vote of the crew members some time this week.

At present Wadsworth is steering the inteligibles and McCollum is in the first 150-pound shell.

A new Pocock shell which has been given to the University by R. F. Herrick '90 is now at the Newell Boathouse, and will be rigged this week.