LAW SOCIETY REPORTS ACTIVITY

Work Conducted With Vigor in All the Branches of Program

The Law School Society this year has done its work through an executive committee of five, composed of H. J. Friendly, 3L, Chairman, F. A. O. Schwartz, 3L, Brooks Potter 3L, Charles Spofford 2L, and the Secretary. This committee has been of great assistance in all branches of the work.

We have had a membership in this Society of 180 men, of whom 115 have contributed a total of $240.00 for the support of the Society.

The year really started lest Spring when we conducted a book drive for the Law Loan Library. About 25 case books were contributed by the students, and a number of others by professors. We have given out every book in the Library which is not obsolete; we have 207 now in use by 85 men. This is a slight decrease from last year. An intensive drive for text-books is planned this spring which will again make the library equal to the demands on it.

Information Aids New Men

The Law School Society co-operated in maintaining the information bureau in Phillips Brooks House the week before college opened. The opening reception of the Society was held September 27th in Phillips Brooks House and 531 men attended. This is by far the largest attendance the Society has ever had at one of its meetings. President Lowell. Dean Pound, and Professors Frankfurter and Magruder were the faculty speakers.

Two other meetings were held by the society. At the first one District Attorney Emory R. Buckner of New York spoke on the law from the standpoint of a practicing lawyer. Judge Julian W. Mack of the United States Circuit Court gave the second of these informal talks on lawyers as a judge sees them. Langdell Center was crowded for each of these meetings, the total attendance being 625.

The Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, which was founded by the Law School Society in 1913 has just concluded a most successful year. Sixteen of its members handled 100 cases, many of which went to court through the Cambridge office, and the other sixteen of the members worked in conjunction with the Boston Legal Aid Bureau. Livingston Hall 3L, Secretary