THE CAMPUS TIMETABLE

The prosperous people of the world who have obtained positions of prominence without benefit of college have always been scornful of the value of education. In the popular mind, students spend their days in a kind of lotus-eating existence devoted to the pleasures and dissipations of the campus, with an occasional hour or so devoted to study just before examinations. Without any facts or figures to prove the contrary students have had to bear the stigma in silence. Their justification has been attempted by the University of idaho, and despite the complications which the entertainments of a nearby city produce, no doubt the results of its tests would be of value in the defense of Harvard as well.

According to the report, eight hours and twenty minutes a day are enough for sleep and three hours and forty minutes for recreation. A mere ten minutes suffices for religion, but the student redeems himself with a record of nearly six hours used in study every day in the week, a total very little under the 44 hour week of the average business man. The extra time left in his day are taken up in miscellaneous activities such as eating and travelling.

Contrary to the popular opinion as they are, these figures are a vindication of the college man's excuse for existence. For if in his three hours and forty minutes recreation a day the student gets in so much enjoyment as to give the impression that he does nothing else, while the business man with just as much is always complaining of the griminess of existence, there must be something in college life that gives him a useful capacity for living.