DROPS OF WATER

The interest manifested in the University swimming meet yesterday afternoon is ample-proof of the need of a new pool. The anonymous donor of the necessary sum apparently made his gift just in time. Athletics for all is an excellent slogan, but it has already exceeded its physical bounds, and the most obvious overcrowding anywhere is at the Big Tree.

Harvard's unique position among large universities, of possessing totally inadequate swimming facilities, has long been a somewhat sore spot. There is no use in denying that secondary school students whose favorite pastime is swimming are biased against a university not even represented in the sport. Furthermore, the fifty-yard requirement for Freshmen means a large number of novices to increase the crowding every year. "The pool's living water" is an apt description for three days of the week; and even on the odd afternoons there is now a fairly large number of habitual visitors. The old building has had its day in undergraduate usage, but it is hopelessly small for the present the new pool promises to be comfortably large for some time to come.