WADE-BOYLSTON WINNERS NAMED

Wheeler, Vaccaro, Weaver, Peterson Are Victors--Winning Boylston Poem by Untermeyer

Four men were awarded prizes last night at the finals of the Lee Wade and Boylston speaking contest held in Sanders Theatre. These winners were Edward Dinsmore Wheeler '28, Orazio Ercole Vaccaro '29, Robert Clifton Weaver '29, and Abbot Peterson '30.

Wheeler was awarded the Lee Wade prize of $50 for his recitation of "Pecksniff to his daughters" by Charles Dickens. Vaccaro won the Boylston award of $50 with the poem "The Laughters" by Louis Untermeyer. Weaver, reciting "Abraham Lincoln" by Booker T. Washington, and Peterson, reciting "The Admiral's Ghost" by Alfred Noyes were awarded the two $30 Boylston prizes.

The following men also spoke in the contest: F. E. Shea '29, on the "Reply to Corry" by Henry Grattan; G. A. Weller '29 on the Medea of Euripides: T. N. Stensland '28 on "Nominating John Sherman" by James A. Garfield; A. D. Howlett '28, on "Plea for the Old South Church" by Wendell Phillips; Theodore Hall '29, on "The Death of Socrates" by Plato; T. H. Eliot '28 on "The Mystic Trumpeter" by Walt Whitman.

The judges of the speaking contest were George Herbert Palmer '64, Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, and I. L. Winter '86, Professor Emeritus of Public Speaking, many years in charge of the contest, and himself a former winner.

A double quartet composed of members of the University Glee Club sang several popular selections pending the decision of the judges.