Late Spring Novels

IN THE BEGINNING. By Norman Douglas. John Day Company, New York, 1928, $2.50.

By G. P.

THOSE who read and liked "South Wind" have had to wait ten years for Norman Douglas' next book "In the Beginning." At last it is here, and although everybody is rushing around to snatch up the first editions, it is, frankly not worth waiting for.

Irony and satire, so pleasantly present in "South Wind," may still be found in "In the Beginning," but the hand that guides is less sure, less deft. The fantastic mythology, created by Mr. Douglas, is pretty hard to keep track of, in their meanderings over the earth and heayens. The gods mix with the ladies, and the goddesses with men, and who is a god of the first water and who is an honest-to-God man is too difficult to perceive for an average-minded reader like your reviewer.

In "South Wind" there was no plot to be sure, but there were many extremely interesting characters. There was something definite to tie yourself to. In Mr. Douglas' most recent work, there is no plot, and very, very little that is tangible.

The actual writing of the book is, of course, as good as the author"s prose can be, and that is good enough for anyone. But if you liked "South Wind," you had better rearead it, and avoid the disappointment that "In the Beginning" is sure to bring you.