I. C. 4A. Titles at Stake as Stars Compete in Preliminary Events

Coach Farrell Enters 43 Crimson Trackmen--Have Chance to Take Second Place

Trials and elimination heats in all but the mile and two-mile runs will inaugurate the fifty-second annual I. C. 4 A. Track and Field Championships in the Stadium this afternoon. Tomorrow the semi-finals and finals of the events started today, and the distance runs, will decide the 15 individual championships, and the team title which Stanford University is defending.

Coach E. L. Farrell has entered 43 members of the Crimson team which last Saturday displayed unexpected power in defeating Yale 78 to 57. After its strong showing against the Blue, the Harvard team is expected to give good account of itself in the scoring tomorrow, and is generally considered a possible winner of second honors. Stanford has sent a contingent that is conceded potential power sufficient to win the meet easily.

Struggle for Second Expected

The strongest competition for second place will probably be encountered from the University of Southern California, with Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, and Cornell also counting heavily in the scoring. The injury of Charles Borah on May 5, which kept him out of strenuous training for ten days, has opened possibilities in the dash events which may considerably affect the total of the Southern California team. Such men as A. E. French '29, and T. F. Mason '30, who both did 9 and 4-5 seconds in the 100 last Saturday, will give Borah trouble in the century unless he is in top notch condition.

Captain A. H. O'Neil '28, W. C. Poet '28, and R. P. Porter '29 are entered in the trial heats of the 880-yard run today. Their spectacular race against Hogan of Yale, which resilted in forcing the Yale flash to a third place in this event, promises outstanding performance by these Harvard half-milers. Edwards of N. Y. U., Wakely of Bates, and Offenhauser of Penu State are the fastest opposition they will have to meet.

Tupper in Low Hurdles

In the low hurdles G. A. Tupper '29 is expected to be among the point winners. Payne of U. S. C. appears to be assured of first place since he has done 23 and 3-10 seconds. Nichols of the University of California. Wells and Marsters of Dartmouth and Kieselhorst of Yale will probably be fighting Tupper for second place. Tupper has an excellent chance to follow Payne across the finish line, as he took the Dartmouth event two weeks ago, shaving a fifth of a second from Wells' old record.

French will be in stiff competition for points in the broad jump, but is counted on as a certain scorer. Bstes of Penn State is returning to defend his title and meet record set last rear 24 feet 8 and 1.2 inches.

The weight events today will bring into action a group of performers from the West coast who are of record-breaking quality. Krenz and Kothert of Stanford since their arrival in Cambridge, have been putting the shot 49 feet in practice without undue effort The former is also a discus ace C. A. Pratt '28 and David Guaruaccia '29 will be the University's chief bids for points in these events.

Krenz has not thrown the discus below 149 feet or above 154 feet in his six meets this year. The record set by "Bud" Houser of U. S. C. in 1926 is 151 feet 3 and 3-8 inches, so that Krenz who is only a Sophomore, should break this mark before he is through with intercollegiate competition.

Coach Farrell has entered the following men; T. H. Alcock '29, B. H. Beal '29, L. D. Brayton '28, P. S. Brown '30, S. E. Brown '30, B. G. Burbank '28, F. T. Burgess '30, C. M. Churchill '30, W. H. Cleaver '29, R. B. Corey '29, F. E. Cummings '30, W. M. Dow '29, C. E. Dunlap '30, C. H. Elsass '30, Leslie Flaksman '29, French, R. G. Gould '30, Guarnaccia, V. L. Hennessy '30, W. J. Henrich '28, Fletcher Hodges '28, R. R. Impink '28, W. V. King '28, W. R. Koch '29, C. M. Lauterhahn '30, D. A. Lomasney '29, R. G. Luttman '29, F. J. Mardulier '30, Ma, son, Moore, F. V. Nissen '30, R. H. O'Connell '30, O'Neil, Peet, Porter, J. W. Potter '30, Pratt, J. L. Reid '29, Shapiro, Tupper, David White '29, J. O. Wildes '29, and R. D. Williams '30