THE BATTLE OF THE GIANTS

Out of the confusion of hundreds of hopeful athletes, anxious coaches, and harassed managers which will reign on Soldiers Field this afternoon will emerge before nightfall a comparatively small group of proved stars--the finalists in tomorrow's struggle for highest intercollegiate track and field honors. Certainly can cafely be asserted on only two points: that the men who survive today's trials may confidently be expected to provide the spectator in the Stadium tomorrow with a veritable battle of the giants, and that their ranks will include many names which figured but slightly on the dope sheets for pre-meet speculation.

The I. C. A. A. A. A. games which open today on the Soldiers Field track and turf invariably produce as stern and thrilling competition as may be found in any of the country's great athletic meets. Star performers of more than forty colleges from the University of Southern California in the south-west to Dartmouth in the north-east give assurance of serious assault on existing records; the great variety of competitors, many of whom have never faced each other before, make upsets and hair breadth finishes a foregone conclusion.

Harvard today has the pleasure of welcoming the athletics hosts of the I. C. A. A. A. A. to Cambridge, and of again witnessing their struggle for supremacy on the Stadium track.