THE STUDENT PLAYGOER

The progress of Harvard's first spring Reading Period reveals a happy coincidence that seems almost to indicate divine intervention on the behalf of the students. For what less than a gift of the gods is the arrival in Boston during the weeks that lectures are suspended of such an abundance of dramatic offerings as the present spring has produced? That crusader for the better things of the theater. Walter Hampden, has already done successful battle with Shakespeare, Then and Browning and departed for other regions. Eva in Gallienne, leader of the New York Civic Repertory Theater, sill touches the tragic depths at the Hollis, and to descend a moment from the sublime, last night saw the opening of Able's Irish Rose with the "original New York company". Last but probably most important on the list comes the Gilbert and Sullivan revival which will share interest with the coming finals after this week.

The anxious observer may tremble for the fate of the reading period with such quantity of competing attractions. But reading lists cannot be pursued twenty-four hours a day, and diversions such as these can refresh the weary minds with good effect. On the whole the only fear to be expressed is that the present calendar be changed, for Boston has not always been, so fortunate.