H. D. C. SUCCEEDS IN HEAVY PRODUCTION

Flecker's Verse Well Interpreted by Cast--Boston Stars Add Luster to Current Show

The following pre-review of the Dramatic Club's latest production, "Hassan", which opens at Brattle Hall tonight, was written for the Crimson by W. E. Harris '20, special correspondent for the Boston Evening Transcript.

In bringing the late James Elroy Flecker's poetic tragedy "Hassan" to a Greater Boston stage for the first time, the Harvard Dramatic Club has undertaken what is known professionally as a "heavy production". At Brattle Hall last evening there appeared to be innumerable scenes, many specially engaged actors and a play without much doubt the most difficult to perform which the Club has attempted in some time. The performance last night, in no better nor no worse condition than any professional production on the night before the opening, gave promise of several interesting characteristics. Most outstanding was the promise of more sustained acting than the Club has shown in some of its recent productions. Spectacular as is the present performance, it nevertheless builds from a solid foundation and does not depend too much upon vivid effects.

Very briefly the story of "Hassan" is that of the quarrel over a girl waged between Rafli, King of the Beggars, and the Caliph of Bagdad. But through it all runs the strange, sweeping play of Hassan, the Confectioner. In a rare illusive manner Flecker has told the fable of this unhappy man, himself in love. Gorgeous colors distract the eye, enchanting verse lays its spell upon the ear; it is a spectacle, but a strange rich legend that rises to something more than mere pageantry.

The Dramatic Club has caught now and again the vivid quality that Flecker wove into his lilting verse, the subtle thread of his thoughts. Caught it occasionally in the scenery, occasionally in flashes of deftly read lines, but more often in the incidental music and the quick flow of large masses of players. Something of the singing quality of the lines Professor F. C. Packard has infused into the play by some very acute direction. Of the players, Miss Doris Sanger is most effective, but Mr. Leatherbee as the romantic Rafl, Mr. Perry as the Caliph and Mr. Harrington as Hassan, all carry their roles with conviction. Miss Braggiotti's dance is also a high light in the performance.