CRIMSON NET STARS TAKE PART IN CHURCH CUP WIN

Whitbeck and Hill Add to Boston Total With Two Victories--Philadelphia Repulsed 5 to 4

Playing on the grass courts at Longwood Cricket Club Saturday afternoon, two members of the University tennis team were instrumental in gaining victory for Boston in the Church Cup competition with New York and Philadelphia. Captain B. H. Whitbeck '29, Crimson No. 1 man, and M. T. Hill '30, No: 2, both scored triumphs over Quaker singles stars in three set matches to add the necessary points for a Boston win. The results gave the local squad the decision five matches to four.

Boston overhauled the Pennsylvania representatives after they had walked away with the first three singles events and seemed to have the title in their grasp. R. N. Williams '16, former Davis Cup luminary and National titleholder, was the outstanding performer for the Philadelphia team, taking the No. 1 singles matches in brilliant style, 6-3, 6-4, from Lawrence Rice, the Boston leader, and being in great part responsible for a doubles victory over Whitheck and Hill.

Whitbeck proved himself a played of remarkable steadiness Saturday afternoon in his match with Neil Sullivan. Philadelphia No. 4 man and running mate of Williams in the doubles grouping, by coming from behind after dropping the initial set 4-6 and capturing the event 6-4, 6-2. The Crimson captain found the going difficult on the grass courts at first and upset his game trying to fathom the low bounces. In the last two sets, he found himself and swept Sullivan back with crisp drives to the baselines.

Hill, the other Harvard entry, duplicated his team-mate's performance by finishing in good style after a ragged start. He overcame Lawrence Brown 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.

In the first doubles match, with Whitbeck and Hill representing Boston by virtue of their victory in the Massachusetts state doubles championships, spectacular play resulted before Williams and Sullivan broke down the resistance of the Harvard pair in three gruelling sets, 6-3, 2-6, 10-8