TWO HARVARD TRACKMEN QUALIFY AT MELROSE

FOUR OTHER MEMBERS OF TRACK TEAM PLACE

Two first places and seconds or thirds in six other events were taken by members of past Harvard track teams in the New England Olympic tryout meet Saturday afternoon on the Melrose High athletic field.

A. H. Miller '27, former Crimson star on track and gridiron, and C. A. Pratt '28, a consistent scorer in weight events for University teams of the past three years, qualified for competition in the Eastern Olympic tryouts this Saturday at the Yankee Stadium in New York City by virture of their victories in the 100-metre dash and discus throw respectively. Each was wearing the unicorn of the B. A. A.

In the 800-metre run, R. P. Porter '29 romped home second to Sam Martin, the ex-Dartmouth middle distance luminary and a member of the world's B. A. A. two-mile record-holding relay team. Martin ran the distance in the good time, considering the soft track resulting from the recent heavy fall of rain, of 1 minute 55 seconds.

Pratt Places in Three Events

David White '29 tied at 20 feet 6 1-3 inches for third place in the broad jump; while in the shotput second and third places were captured by David Guarnaccia '29 and Pratt. The latter, placing in his third event, threw the hammer 114 feet 10 1-2 inches to take second.

In the discus Guarnaccia took third to Pratt and Tony Plansky of the St. Alphonsus Association, the individual star of the meet, with a heave of 126 feet 8 inches.

T. G. Moore '29, the University's javelin-throwing ace of this spring's track-team, made a toss of 186 feet to take second in this event.

F. E. Cummings '30, running for the B. A. A. came in third in the 400-metre run, while MacAuley Smith, the old Yale Intercollegiate cross country champion, now a student in the Law School, representing the B. A. A. had little opposition in taking the 500-metre, run in 15 minutes 29 4-5 seconds.

Qualifiers Named

The men who were selected to compete at the Yankee Stadium next Saturday as a result of their winning at Melrose follow: 100 and 200 metre run--Miller and George Morin, B. A. A.: 400-metre run--F. A. Burns, B. A. A.: 800-metre run--Martin B. A. A.: 1500-metre run--R. A. Dalrymple and H. C. Cutbill, B. A. A.: 500-metre run--William Simons, Dorchester Club; Hop, Step and Jump AI Rogan, B. A. A.: Hammer throw--Edward Flanagan, B. A. A.: Discus throw--Pratt: Javelin throw--A. W. Sager, B. A. A.