A BLUE MOOD

The scholastic victory of the University has brought to the foreground at Yale the matter of more intensive requirements for concentration. The position of a member of the Yale team, reported yesterday, is very distinctly in favor of courses more difficult than those demanded at present of the honors man, who alone has the privilege of concentrating his work in a particular field. There is also implicated a request that every student should choose, as at Harvard, a field of concentration: this attitude, together with approving words for the tutorial system, is indication that Yale has been stirred to sincere self-inspection.

Such an offspring of the contest introduced this spring was not at all foreseen by the sporting prognosticators, to whom the derided "scholastic meet" was food for no little amount of ridicule. The glory of victory in this type of combat is indeed not of the strike-up-the-band manner; nor is it to be placed among any categories of the past. It is, like the contest itself, of more subtle stuff, and the exchange of thoughts and progress between universities is not the least of its merits.