Gratwick and Nichols Named to Serve Second Year as Assistants in Charge of Freshmen

Both Men Were Prominent in Extra-curricular Activities When Undergraduates

Members of the entering Class of 1932 will be placed under the jurisdiction of Assistant Deans Mitchell Gratwick '22 and W. I. Nichols '26 this year, it was announced yesterday by Dean A. C. Hanford. Both men served as Freshman deans last year.

Mr. Gratwick is starting his third term in the College Office. While an undergraduate at Harvard, he was prominent as an all-around athlete and as a participant in numerous University activities.

Mr. Nicols is beginning his second year as an assistant dean. Mr. Nichols, while attending Harvard, was president of the Crimson and a member of the Student Council. He attended Hallol College Oxford University, for a year as a Rhode Scholar after graduating from the University.

The Freshman Class will be divided equally among the two assistant deans with students assigned on an alphabetical basis, those from A to J being given to Mr. Gratwick and the remainder to Mr. Nichols.

One change has been made in the administrative arrangements for dropped Freshmen and men who are being readmitted with the Class of 1932. A ruling provides that these men stay under the supervision of the Sophomore dean, inas-much as most of their courses are second year work and their difficulties distinct from those of first year men.

The appointment of Lawrence Coolidge '27 as Sophomore dean to succeed Mr. W. H. Nelson '04 was also announced yesterday. Mr. Nelson resigned during the past summer to resume; law practice in Boston.

R. E. Bacon, dean of the Junior and Senior classes last year, also resigned during the summer in order to accept a position as dean of St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland. Mr. L. C. Keyes '24 is taking Mr. Bacon's place, pending his permanent appointment.

The roster of assistant deans is completed by Mr. G. D. Benedict '23 who continues in his former position in charge of the College records.