THE CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE

Open undergraduate criticism of collage professors and administrators, not many years ago regarded either as a mark of reprehensible precocity or as an encouraging sign of Intellectual alertness, has now become so common as to attract little more than passing notice. The scales are even beginning to tip in the opposite direction and the college public to become cloyed with an increasing flood of student opinions on courses, regulations, professional personalities and academic experiments.

The student who today glances through the CRIMSON'S fourth edition of the Confidential Guide to courses will find nothing extraordinary in seeing his professors dragged before an unofficial tribunal of upperclass scribes. Trying and sentencing of a similar nature is the regular stock in trade of all undergraduate editors and essayists. If the student who reads today's Guide be of a somewhat thoughtful nature he may even feel a slight resentment that criticism, often hasty or unnecessarily destructive, should be allowed to run rampant with the life work of a group of men as able and experienced as the Harvard faculty.

Were it not for the fact that the Confidential Guide id in no wise intended to dogmatic, such a feeling of resentment would be entirely justified. No individual undergraduate can pretend to appraise a course in such fashion as to do justice to all of its possibilities to share his personal reaction. The Confidential Guide is a collection of individual reactions-reactions intended as guide posts to other students, which may also be reasonably expected to bring out here and there points of vital weakness or strength.