SHAPLEY WILL CONDUCT FIVE OPEN NIGHTS AT COLLEGE OBSERVATORY

BOND ASTRONOMICAL CLUB WILL HOLD CAMBRIDGE MEETING

On Friday evening, October 19, the Harvard College Observatory, under the direction of Professor Harlow Shapley, will hold the first of its open nights for the year, which will be conducted similarly to those of last year. A lecture by one of the members of the Department of Astronomy will be accompanied by observations through the telescopes. There will be a series of five of these open nights this fall, and another series is scheduled to begin in April. These are open to the public, as well as to members of the University.

Children to Visit Observatory

This evening another activity of the Observatory will get under way, when about a hundred school children from the Cambridge Public Schools will visit the Observatory to listen to an elementary, lecture on astronomy by a Harvard professor and to observe the stars if the weather is favorable. These talks for the school children will continue weekly until June.

During the early part of next month the Bond Astronomical Club, a group of professional and amateur astronomers of Cambridge and vicinity, will hold the first of its monthly meetings at the Observatory. The American Association of Variable Star Observers will hold an all-day session at the Observatory for its seventeenth annual meeting, which will be followed by a dinner in the Hotel Bellevue, Boston.