Page Mr. Seldes

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In the December issue of College Humor there appeared an article on Harvard of today written by a gentleman known as Gilbert Seldes. In his literary attempt he endeavors to portray for the world a picture of Harvard and its students. With an all-inclusive view and swayed by destructive tendencies he sketches the degenerated conditions prevalent in our institution, and deplores in rather forceful language those who dwell within its walls. Woe unto Harvard!

The veracity of his lamentations is questioned. After all there are two sides to every question and perhaps Mr. Seldes may be on the wrong side.

A college of the size and nature of Harvard can give no single man, much less Mr. Seldes, a complete view of its nature. There seem to be so many characteristics of Harvard that no individual can see them all from his limited position. For example, one may attempt to classify the student body. He will find, among others, six groups--those dominated by a social complex, those with an intellectual complex, a pecuniary complex, an athletic complex, or a combination of these complexes, and finally, those with no complexes at all. Which is predominant is a matter open to question. To which did Mr. Seldes belong? Judging from his college record I shall decline to answer for fear of incurring his enmity. Nevertheless how can he, even though he had a rather broad view as a member of the Socialist club, from his group position give a picture of Harvard? He displays absolute lack of knowledge of the other five. During his college career he mingled with a particular group, belonged to that group--and to-day from that group position he attempts to give an idea of the college using that group as a standard. No wonder he deplores the Harvard product!

If Mr. Seldes' attack had been more limited and confined, more direct, perhaps more truthful, there would have been no cause for reply. But his statements were otherwise. Sincerely yours.   Peter Bove '29