Manuscript Unfolds Tale of Harvard Hall Burning and Library Loss-General Court Did Yeoman Work in Flames

Thursday was the one hundred and sixty fifth anniversary of the fire which destroyed Harvard Hall, one of the oldest buildings in the University. Although many valuable manuscript and treasures were consumed, the greatest loss was the destruction of the original library of John Harvard, all but one volume being lost. The story connected with the surviving volume is that it was taken from the Library without permission on the evening of the fire.

In the Treasure Room of Widener Library is a manuscript resembling a handbill which bears the date of January 25, 1764, and gives the following account of the fire:

"Last night the most ruinous fire since the foundation of the college visited Harvard. It was a cold wintry night, when about midnight we were awakened by the cry of 'Fire'. Harvard Hall, 42 feet wide, 97 feet long, and four stories high, built in 1672 was in flames.....

"Throughout the evening the other colleges, Stoughton and Massachusetts were in utmost danger. They caught fire numerous times, and could not have been saved by all the help that the town could afford, had it not been for the assistance of the Gentlemen of the General Court. His Excellency the Governor, who is spite of the rigor of the weather was most active in exerting himself in supplying the town engines with water which had to be fetched from a distance, the two college pumps being then rendered useless.....

".....The Library and Apparatus which had for many years been growing, and were now judged to be the best furnished in America, were annihilated."