MR. BINGHAM GOES WEST

Just now, when change and rumors of change fill Harvard athletic circles, is the best possible time which Mr. Bingham could have chosen for his embassy to the Middle West. The immediate need for new physical equipment, particularly the new gymnasium and a new locker building, and the continued expansion of the program of intramural sport which has caused this need, are matters for the attention of every Harvard man. There is no one better qualified than Mr. Bingham himself to explain these things, all of which are fruits of his activity of the past two years.

He accepted his post as Director of Athletics under trying circumstances. Harvard's record in intercollegiate sport was at a low ebb which made the alumni thoroughly dissatisfied with the conduct of the athletic program and disinclined to contribute to its support. More than this, the name of college sport itself was under a cloud of criticism from persons who thought it harmful to the true purposes of a university; at Harvard this criticism was especially strong. If Mr. Bingham has brought harmony and helpful understanding--and he certainly has--out of discord and confusion, his success is due in no small measure to his habit of plain speaking and of vigorous handling of elements widely separated in the Harvard scale. Comprehension by alumni in other parts of the country of what he has done and is trying to do will bring the approving support which he has already won at Harvard.