MODERN MIRACLES

When Captain John Smith was considered to possess the unfortunate qualifications of Jonah to the extent of causing a storm at sea, he suffered the same punishment of being cast forth from the ship; but on account either of his greater endurance or of the extra-ordinary lack of great-dish at the time, tradition has it that he out-Jonahed Jonah.

Following this so excellent example, the modern world is putting its best foot forward in an attempt to emulate Biblical heroes. Weird psychie phenomena such as Sir Oliver Lodge has been known to demonstrate are often considered on a par with Daniel's interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's dream or with the handwriting on the wall. Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin. Moreover, by directing with much success and grandeur the crossing of the Red Sea, Cecil De Mille claims recognition as having out-manoeuvered Moses.

Now a new enterprise has been undertaken. An army airplane has triumphed in its endeavor to break all existing endurance records for crafts both heavier and lighter than air. For days, aimlessly flying through space, it has remained aloft. The crew could not be daunted, even though motors should strain and fouled spark plugs almost force a landing. "Only Elijah," It has been opportunely stated, "has gone farther and longer than the Question Mark." And in commenting upon this, a secretary of aviation has added, "Good, let's trim Elijah."