MONOLOGUIST TO APPEAR IN ARTISTS' BENEFIT

PROCEEDS WILL GO TO MacDOWELL COLONY LEAGUE

Under the auspices of the Divisions of Music and Fine Arts, and for the benefit of The MacDowell Colony League of Cambridge, a monologue recital will be given at John Knowles Paine Concert Hall of the Music Building on Tuesday evening, October 15, at 8.15 o'clock. The artist of the evening, Miss Helen Howe, daughter of M. A. DeWolfe Howe '87, famous editor and biographer, is a well-known original monologist and gives promise of a unique entertainment.

This is one of a series of annual presentations arranged and offered by citizens of Cambridge, with the aid of the University, for the benefit of the MacDowell League.

Mr. MacDowell, who was connected with the Yale Music School, owned 500 acres in Peterborough, N. H., with which he wished to found an artist's colony. Since his death, Mrs. MacDowell has been carrying on the altruistic work that her husband originated.

A visitor to Peterborough today would find the colony well inhabited by artists who are asked to pay only a small resident fee. Artists, painters, sculptors, musicians, and literary men are gathered together in a central house which they leave each day to live in quiet, unfrequented cottages.

As may be easily understood, the small fee required of the guests at Peter-borough is not sufficient to cover the expense involved. As a result benevolent societies and individuals are doing their share to aid such an enterprise. The proceeds of the recital at Paine Hall comprise the annual contribution of Harvard and Cambridge to the MacDowell institution.