AT THE BUSINESS SCHOOL

The inauguration of the tutorial system in the Business School marks another significant step in its rapid evolution. Although the George F. Baker Foundation has aimed to offer its graduates a broad training which will furnish an adequate background for positions of executive responsibility, there has at various times been a feeling that routine work connected with some of the courses leaves the student little time for thought and consideration of some of the more significant phases of study. Under the new plan the first year will continue to be a period of basic instruction with required courses for all students; men of distinction grade will then be eligible to drop most of their course work and devote themselves to their own branch of study.

It is interesting to note that in keeping with the general policy of Harvard's graduate schools the innovation will be optional for each eligible student. This year about half of the honor men are ejecting the tutorial scheme. The final records of the two groups should provide an instructive comparison at the end of the year.

The gradual spread in the college of the system of general examinations and tutors from a small beginning in one department seventeen years ago to practically all undergraduate work speaks for itself. Carrying ahead the same concept of a liberal education from the undergraduate to the professional field the leaders of the School of Business Administration hope to give further stimulus to those men who are able to go ahead in a definite field of study. From the point of view of the university as a whole the extension of the idea of individual responsibility to the Business School is another indication of the essential unity of Harvard's widely diversified activities.