Rogers Clarifies Accusation of Snobbishness Levelled at Harvard--Claims to be Old-Fashioned Individualist

"I have not accused Harvard men of being snobs individually; my reference was to snobbishness as a corporate impression, representing the tone of a university."

This statement was made yesterday by Robert E. Rogers '09, to a CRIMSON reporter, when the M. I. T. professor was questioned with regard to his remark during an address to Technology seniors last Commencement, when he advised them to "put up a big front, and cultivate snobbery." At the same time he pointed to Harvard undergraduates as an example of what snobbery can do for men.

"As a matter of fact, snobbishness is probably not as prevalent at Harvard as it is in many small New England colleges," he continued, "Harvard's reputation comes from the fact, no doubt, that she always does things in a grand manner. The University does what it feels should be done, and doesn't bother to explain, though the heathen rage."

Professor Rogers stated that he was glad of an opportunity to "set himself right with the College". He said, "It has been implied that a more professor of civil engineering had no right to criticize Harvard men. However, being a graduate myself, I felt that I had as much right as anyone to discuss the University."

"I was greatly surprised at the comment my stray remark caused in the press. Lately I have received newspaper clippings from places as distant as Cape Town, Madras, and Ceylon. I don't mind what editors say about me, having been one myself. But I do dislike to be misunderstood."

"Harvard's roots are in the aristocratic past," he replied in answer to a question regarding the cause of the University's manner of superiority. "Once she has found a good thing she isn't always changing it, and rushing into new things. The elaborate ceremonies around Commencement Time are a fair example of this adherence to tradition."

When queried concerning the new developments which have taken place at Harvard since his graduation, he replied:

"I am an old-fashioned Harvard individualist, and an opponent of the 'undifferentiated efficiency' of the modern college and university. I believe that these institutions should be reserved for men who plan to enter the advanced professions, such as toaching. Harvard, among others, is taking a great many men for whom a college equation is an expensive, and useless, luxury."