Curtain Call

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be with-held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Cohen wanted to find out what the police would do if he distributed his circulars, and now he knows; they object very much to having circulars distributed, and have promised him a summons for next Thursday. He will doubtless get a nominal penalty, and the Transcript will come out with a benign editorial to the effect that Cohen is a bad boy but that time will teach him discretion. So Cohen will find himself not a martyr, but merely a "source of innocent merriment", which is not an agreeable position for a crusader.

The more simple minded may wonder at this action on the part of the Cambridge police, and object that the ordinance was not impartially enforced. In deed, a few days ago one could hardly walk a block without having handbills thrust at one, publishing remarkable opportunities in pressing and cleaning, and used car sales. And the police, as far as I could see, did not interfere with these gentlemen. But one cop took Cohen's circular, and the CRIMSON; says "About twenty minutes later the Sergeant came up from the station and hauled in both Cohen and his batch of papers." Why? Why because during that twenty minutes the policeman had succeeded in reading the circular--which takes two minutes for the ordinary mortal--and had also discovered behind those high-minded platitudes an idea, a political idea. The rest follows automatically.

We are so brow beaten and bullied by officials in this country, in our choice of literature, art, political opinions, manners, and dress, that we have unconsciously come to regard as an insurgent whoever rebels against the new tyranny, Cohen, whatever his means and manner, has attempted to reassert our liberties and it is inappropriate. I think, for the CRIMSON or for anyone else to assume an amused and detached attitude toward the slightly ridiculous scuffle in Harvard Square. It is better for our self-respect to protest, instead of smiling when liberties which once meant much to us, are taken away; and we have not yet given our souls over to the custody of the police, whatever the appearances may be. Sincerely,   Brinckerhoff Jackson '32.