CLASSICAL CLUB PLANS TO GIVE OPUS IN FEBRUARY

SINGLE PERFORMANCE LIMITED TO UNIVERSITY

The tentative date for the production of the Classical Club's Latin play, Plautus' "Menaechmi", rehearsals for which started last week, has been set as Friday, February 14, 1930. So far as can be learned, this will be the first production of the Latin comedy in America. A special musical score, based on ancient musical measures, is being composed for the play, by R. S. Shuman '31.

F. C. Packard, professor of Public Speaking, will direct the players, with Professor E. K. Rand '94, assisting. Those in the east include H. C. Friend '31, R. W. Hyde '30, M. W. Mansur '30, C. T. Murphy '31, L. F. Robinson '30, W. M. Wing '31, Carlton Green '30, Matthew Hale, Jr. '32, and F. M. Chambers '30.

The committee of the Classical Club in charge of the production is composed of T. D. Petrella '29, chairman, D. F. Margolies '31, R. S. Shuman '31, W. S. Herr '30, M. W. Mansur '30, W. S. Smith '31, and A. H. Chase '25.

The production is not a departmental one in any way. It is the fourth such presentation by the Classical Club the first, that of Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex", having been given in 1876. In 1893 the "Phormio" of Terence was produced, and, in 1906, the "Agamem non" of Aeschylus. Only one performance of the "Menaechmi" will be given and that open only to members of the University.