MASTER OF LOWELL HOUSE

Professor J. L. Coolidge '95, named head of Lowell House, was born in Brookline in September, 1873. He was graduated from Harvard; then studied at Oxford University for two years, and received a degree from the University of Bonn in Prussia, in 1904.

He taught mathematics at Groton School; was instructor at Harvard in 1900; assistant professor in 1908; and professor in 1918.

After having served as Major in the United States Army, he was attached as liaison officer to the French general staff and was decorated with the cross of the Legion of Honor.

Besides being a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Professor Coolidge has been prominent in various mathematical organizations. He is member and ex-vice-presdent of the American Mathematical Society; member and ex-president of the Mathematical Association of America; and ex-president of the Association of Mathematics Teachers in New England.

In 1909 Professor Coolidge started his literary career by writing "Elements of Non-Euclidean Geometry; in 1916 "Treatise on the Circle and the Sphere"; in 1924, "Geometry of the Complex Domain"; and in 1925, "Introduction to Mathematical Probability".

Professor Coolidge will reside with his family in a separate building adjacent to Lowell House. He will, however, eat many of his meals in the common dining room.

Lowell House, of which Professor Coolidge, is head, will contain 139 single suites, 73 double suites, and one triple suite, thus accomodating 288 students. Or this group, however, a small number will be graduates. All these rooms are steam heated, and with but few exceptions, are equipped with fireplaces.

In the high tower at the Northeast corner of the West Court, there will be a "meeting room". This is intended for the use of small student organizations, primarily members of the House, who wish to have a place of reunion at stated times.