THE WEEK-END

College authorities who object to the prevalent undergraduate custom of trooping off for the weekend have obviously not tried to sleep to the Massachusetts avenue obligato of Mack trucks and screaming street car rails. The two nights a week of rural slumber afforded by the pleasant Harvard custom of week-ending guarantee at least a nucleus of rest around which to group whatever additional moments may be snatched in the cloistered bedrooms abutting on the square. In other words the Dean's office has made no mistake in allowing a certain amount of leeway on such weekends as the coming one which include an extra holiday at one end.

After all, one of the finest things about Boston is that it is one of the best places to go away from in the world. Rocky coast, sandy beach, blue-grey hills are all within easy striking distance. Consequently the effects of week-ending at Harvard are not usually so dire as those reported from the institutions which are situated in the country, and whose undergraduates therefore feel an attraction to the slightly spurious delights of the metropolis.