THUNDER IN THE WEST

Cambridge may seem a trifle dull today. There will be no bands marching through the Square and Anderson Bridge will carry only it's normal load of hurried pedestrians. But in Ann Arbor the trumpets will be sounding and the crowds thronging the streets while the Crimson provides a spectacle and social event which has furnished the university town with gossip and expectation for the last few months.

In the first western invasion since the late fall of 1920, Harvard will be exhibiting its football wares to a curious and expectant crowd. It is more than football, however, that will draw eighty thousand spectators into the Michigan stadium. To the alumni of the middle-west the team represents a vital connecting link between themselves and Harvard, and the Michigan adherents see the players in the light of emissaries from an ancient and famous college of the East to one of the out-standing universities of the middle-west.

Football is not the simple sport that it used to be. An intersectional game today involves special trains, hide-outs for pre-game rest, newspaper reporters and front page publicity. A too well traveled team smacks highly of advertising and of gate receipts. But like all good things, there is safety in moderation. The fanfare and beating of drums in Ann Arbor today reflects the spirit-of youth; out for the conquest of football foes and the winning of new friends.