GRIFFITH TO SPEAK FOR INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL

COUNCIL HAS CHANGED ITS PLAN OF DISCUSSION THIS YEAR

E. S. Griffith, associate professor of Political Science in the School of Citizenship of Syracuse University, will speak at the meeting of foreign and American students at Phillips Brooks House, this evening at 8.30 o'clock.

The International Council, which sponsors this meeting, has changed its policy this year. Previously the foreign students held meetings for round table discussions, but hereafter the formal nature of the gatherings will not be emphasized, and more attention will be paid to the social aspect of the meetings.

In promoting the social mingling of foreign and American students, the International Council is attempting to sound out the attitude of students at Harvard in respect to the possible future establishment of an International House here. It is hoped that a center for social activities of foreign students can thus be realized. A step in this direction was made when the Phillips Brooks House Cabinet turned over to the International Council the use of the Shepard Memorial room in the Phillips Brooks House.

The council recently received a tabulation of statistics concerning the numbers of foreign students attending American colleges. More than 10,000 students, from 101 countries and dependencies, are studying in American institutions of higher learning. If preparatory and high schools were included in the survey, the total number would exceed 13,000.

The following figures, compiled by the National Student Federation, indicate the trend of student migrations: Canada  1,173. China  1,109. Japan  814. Philippines  804. Russia  504. England  369. Germany  360. Mexico  271. Porto Rico  250. India  208. Italy  203. Hawatt  144.