GRADUATE SCHOOL HEAD PASSES AWAY

Honored by American Academy in Rome With Executive Post--Held Leading Place in Profession

Professor James Sturgis Pray '95, head of the School of Landscape Architecture for nearly 20 years, passed away Friday at his home in Cambridge. There had been no confining illness, and the change was sudden and without serious pain. Services will be held in Appleton Chapel this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock by Reverend C. R. Eliot. Classes in the School of Landscape Architecture will be suspended after 12 o'clock.

Professor Pray, who has held the Charles Eliot Chair of Landscape Architecture since 1914, was on sabbatical leave for the current year, but expected to resume teaching on his return. No successor has as yet been indicated.

Fellow of the American Academy in Rome, president of the American Society of Landscape Architects, and consultant in various fields of city planning, Professor Pray has held a prominent place in his chosen field. From 1915 to 1920 he was a trustee and member of the executive committee of the American Academy. As founder and chairman of the National Conference on Instruction in Landscape Architecture he took a leading place in extending the teaching of that subject.

During the World War Professor Pray was retained by the government as a city planning expert in laying out cantonments and towns for munitions workers. He has been active in many societies, including the American City Planning Institute, and the British Town Planning Institute.

Professor Pray has contributed to several books and publications on Landscape Architecture and City Planning, and is a joint author of "City Planning", published in 1913. He has been an adviser to the Cambridge Planning Board, and to the Massachusetts and New Hampshire Forestry Association.