ECONOMIC WAR PREVENTION

The prevention of war depends upon a proper treatment of the economic causes, suggested Mr. R. G. Hawtrey, exchange professor from London in the first lecture of his course on Economics and Sovereignty at Lowell Institute. Not only is this suggestion most significant for determining a means of attaining the most important aim of humanity at present, but also of the educational policy that necessarily must be followed to achieve world peace. Since the basic principle in which all educators are in accord is that the broad purpose of education is to fit the individual most efficiently to understand, appreciate, and better himself and his fellowman, Mr. Hawtrey has not only proposed a universally desired solution of a perplexing international problem, but he has also furnished a definite target for contemporary educators.

This plan is not only simple and more conservative than any other change recently suggested,, but it has a tangible efficiency and directness of perpose. A thoroughly universal education in economics is essential to alleviate the ignorance of the interrelation of sovereignty, property, power, and conflict which Mr. Hawtrey and Norman Angell suggest as basic causes of war. A general understanding of economics appears to be the simplest, sanest, and most significant educational advocacy among the recent flood of innovations and proposed experiments. With it will come the ideal of having the world think of economic ends in terms, not of individual power, but of international welfare.