A NEW RED TOP

The generosity of Mrs. Elliot Bacon in providing funds for the erection of a new boat house at Red Top carries forward another stage the project of improving crew quarters for the Yale race. Mrs. Bacon's gift, which closely follows the announcement of the building of the new Varsity Quarters, will provide entirely modern facilities where they have been much needed.

Harvard's crew quarters on the Thames have long been condemned. Without adequate heating equipment and lacking in such necessities as sufficient showers and drying rooms, the buildings used present a sorry contrast to those of Yale. The importance of such a matter as a large enough float for the freshman crew is comprehensible even to those unfamiliar with rowing conditions. To replace the old buildings with modern, sanitary structures will obviously improve the general training conditions. In their excellent position on a bluff overlooking the river, the new buildings will put Harvard's athletes in quarters suitable for the encounter that faces them.