In the Business World

(Copyright by W. W. Daly)

The following article is the second of a series, written for the Crimson by W. W. Daly '14, Secretary for Student Employment, on the various fields of endeavor in business open to college graduates.

Briefly, production may be considered as making things to sell. A more specific definition would be, that part of manufacturing which takes the raw material or semi-finished material, and carries it to the stage which makes it ready for delivery to the customer. Production, thus, is really a process of development of some material, making it ready for the use of those who-will require it, either in process or for consumption.

This process is usually of a more or less technical nature and requires engineering skill, or at least, an engineering attitude. In the steel business, for example, the various functions from mining, extracting, and smelting, down to the final processes which prepare steel products, technical skill is necessary. Engineering training is essential.

In the great majority of cases the production field takes fewer men from the liberal arts college than any of the other great divisions of business. Men trained in physics or chemistry may go into production work and some of the similar companies where less technical training is required, as for example, manufacturing of furniture or sand paper. Many men learn the process without an engineering background. In general, however, the way is long and tedious, and the very things which make for success in other fields are not so important when dealing with the various phases of production work.

Of course, one vital requirement of men who would succeed in production work is the ability to handle men as well as to handle the processes. Leadership ability, when properly combined with technical skill, is, in my opinion, the most essential attribute of the successful shop superintendent or plant manager.

One other reason why few men from liberal arts colleges go into the production field is contained in a letter received from one of the large steel companies: "We have no objection to the liberal arts college man. He has an education and training that will make him valuable to our business. We find, however, that very frequently men from the liberal arts colleges are unwilling to put on overalls and go into the mill, that they dislike the dirty and laborious work that is required; and it is our experience that many men will not stick. We are, however, perfectly willing to consider liberal arts men if they will show a disposition to do the work required of them."