Class of 1932 Superior Scholastically to Freshmen of Last Year--Large Percentage are Sons of Harvard Graduates

An indication of the scholastic superiority of this year's Freshman class to that of last year is given in figures released yesterday at University Hall. According to statistics compiled by Dean Hanford, 27.1 per cent of the Class of 1931 had unsatisfactory records at mid-years last year, whereas only 17.1 per cent of the Class of 1932 experienced a similar situation.

Other statistics given out yesterday reveal a number of interesting facts in regard to the Freshman Class. The compilations show that of the 853 students entering the class of 1932, 485 were graduates of private preparatory schools and 368 of public high schools, or 57 and 43 per cent.

By a strange coincidence precisely the same percentages apply when one turns to consider how many of this year's Freshmen are the sons of college and non-college graduates. Of the 853, 368 representing 48 per cent, are the sons of college graduates. Of this number, 321 are the sons of Harvard graduates, ranging from the class of 1875 to that of 1911. Ten foreign universities and 67 colleges in the United States are represented by the parents of the remaining 147 first year men.

The fathers of 160 Freshmen were members of classes extending from 1895 to 1906. The class of 1902 tops the list with 28 sons in the Freshman Class, and 1900 comes second with 19.

Next to Harvard, M. I. T. seems to have been the favorite college of the fathers of this year's first year men. Twelve freshmen are immediately descended from graduates of that institution, while Pennsylvania comes next on the list with nine. The fathers of five freshmen graduated from Yale, and three first year men are the sons of Princeton graduates.

Twelve Radcliffe graduates have sent sons into the Class of 1932; eight freshmen have mothers who are Smith graduates; the mothers of seven attended Bryn Mawr, and Vassar graduates tie with those of Wellesley for the honor of enrolling six students in the ranks of 1932.

Figures regarding geographical distribution of the Freshman Class show that its members come from 38 states of the Union and 12 foreign countries or territories. Massachusetts contributes the largest number of freshmen, 456; 128 men claim New York as their home state, and 28 Pennsylvania. Among the foreign lands represented are Belgium, China, Colombia, England, Korea, the Philippine Islands, and Syria.