PLANS ARE OUTLINED FOR USE OF MORRIS GRAY FUND

PROMINENT POETS ARE TO HOLD INFORMAL MEETINGS

The first active steps towards the use of the Morris Gray Fund for Modern Poetry were outlined yesterday afternoon by Professor Winship in the Art Room of the Widener Library, in an informal talk. The gift by Morris Gray '77 of $30,000, the income from which was to be used for the purchase of contemporary poetry, was announced last month, and Professor Winship's speech yesterday was the first intimation of what general plan would be followed.

The Art Room will be made over into a common meeting room in which the books bought with the fund will be placed with the Amy Lowell collection of poetry which will be used as a nucleus. Part of the income will also be used to have prominent poets speak from time to time to informal gatherings of men interested in the field who will be sent invitations.

The first of these speakers will be Robert F. Frost who will talk in the first week in May. He will be followed at approximately monthly intervals by other prominent poets.

After outlining the general plan which will be followed, Professor Winship stated that at present the Morris Fund would only be sufficient to purchase the poetry books as they appeared and would not pay for the expenses of having an attendant. This, he pointed out, would be necessary in order to keep the room open during the day so that students would be able to use it.