GUIDE TO UNIVERSITY WILL APPEAR TUESDAY

EARLY ENGRAVINGS AND AERIAL PHOTOS INCLUDED

As a result of more than a year's work undertaken at the direction of Matthew Luce '91. Regent of the University, the sixth edition of the "Official Guide to Harvard University," edited by R. S. Mitchell '15, will be published by the Harvard University Press on Tuesday. Mitchell was until recently an Instructor in History and Tutor in the Department of History, Government, and Economics; but he now holds the position of editor in the Massachusetts Historical Society.

College History and Life

The "Guide" contains an account of the founding of the University, its constitution and departments, and the position in the University of the various faculties. There is an historical sketch of the Yard from its earliest beginnings to the present time. Of particular interest in the description of the fence and the various gates, and the history of the grounds and buildings. The closing section of the "Guide" is devoted to a review of student life at Harvard, athletics, journalism, clubs, Commencement, and Class Day.

Oxer 50 Illustrations

Mitchell has illustrated the present guide with more than 50 pictures, many of which are taken from new photographs. In sharp contrast to two air views, taken expressly for the edition by Skyways. Incorporated, and never before published, there is a reproduction of the famous Paul Revere engraving of Harvard in 1775.

The original "Guide" was prepared during the summer of 1898 by Professor B. S. Hurlbut '87, then Recording Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The present edition is the first revision in 12 years, and necessarily the text has been re-written and changed in a great number of places.