HARVARD ROWING RIVALS FACE FOES

Technology Crew Has Defeated Navy by Three Lengths--Cornell Shows More Promise Than Last Year

Two of Harvard's Crew opponents will see action at 5 o'clock tomorrow afternoon when M. I. T. meets Princeton on the Charles River Basin course and Navy matches strokes with Columbia on the Harlem River. When Harvard opens its schedule next Saturday with M. I. T. the Engineers will have rowed two races, one of which ended in a sweeping victory over the Navy on the Severn last week. On May 18 the Crimson eight will face the crew from Annapolis on the Severn, having met Cornell on the Charles in the interim.

Close Action Expected

The struggle set for tomorrow will undoubtedly be a fierce one for the Technology crew is the best ever produced by the Engineers. These sweep-swingers, in their three length win over the Naval Academy, gained their first victory in nine years of rowing competition with the crews from Annapolis. No changes have been made in the seating of the Cardinal and Gray eight and the predommance of Sophomores and Juniors with the exclusion of former first string oarsmen predicts that Tech's opponents will find the going rough.

Tech Set for Two Mile Grind

The Engineers are reported to be in the pink of condition and will follow their custom of taking a long starting sprint. Although last week's race with the Navy was rowed over a Henley course both crews are prepared to inaugurate the new two mile course recently laid out in the Charles River Basin.

Tomorrow's program includes a 150 pound crew race over the two mile course at 4 o'clock, a Jayvee race at 4.30 o'clock and the University race at 5 o'clock. The Tech second crew did not fare well against the Navy but it has been improving steadily during the past few days.

After the defeat at the hands of M. I. T. last Saturday a new first string eight was made up, in which most of the positions are filled by last year's plebe oarsmen. The old first crew has become the Jayvee and the new Naval crew is an unknown factor. Last year's Navy eight was one of the poorest in many years and was outrated, in the opinion of many rowing experts, by the first year boat. It is no surprise to speculators in Naval rowing stock that the third classmen should supersede some of the upperclassmen.

Cornell in Two Weeks

Two weeks from tomorrow Harvard will have its second race of the season when it races over the Charles River Basin course with Cornell, which promises to be better than the eight turned out from Ithaca in recent years. The resemblance of the old Courtney swing is evident in the 1929 eight which has easily triumphed over the Jayvee outfit in all of this season's rows. Reports from Ithaca warn that Cornell is a crew to be watched.

Last year Coach Wray's men were defeated by Harvard in a triangular regatta with Tech over the Charles River Basin course but the race two weeks from tomorrow will be a dual affair. Cornell did not show up very well at the Poughkeepsie Regatta last June although the crew was leading the field at the mile mark. A return to a period of championship crews resembling the great eights of Coach Courtney's long regime is hailed by the followers of the oarsmen from Lake Cayuga.