WATTS SETS PACE FOR UNIVERSITY CREW IN SHAKEUP

Now Placed at No. 4 as Norton is Shifted to No. 2--McKesson Goes to No. 6 Seat in Jayvee Eight

Coach Brown's greatest coaching problem is still the selection and development of a stroke man with the smoothness and stamina to guide the Crimson shell over the four mile course at New London in the annual Harvard-Yale epic.

S.W. Swaim '31, who has been stroking the University crew since the middle of April, changed places yesterday afternoon with P.H. Watts '31, pacesetter for the jayvees. In addition R.R. McKesson '31 was rowing at No. 6 in the second shell, taking the place of B.J. Harrison '29 who was moved to No. 4 in the first crew. C.McK. Norton '29, former occupant of that position was shifted to No. 2, McKesson's old berth. The two crews will row today and may race tomorrow with the above changes from Saturday's lineup.

Race May Not Prove Much

Just how much the race will determine is hard to tell. Swaim is well-knit and has good endurance, but his stroking is too short and too erratic to be all that is desired in a good stroke man. Watts, on the other hand, is long in the water and rows a smooth, steady stroke, but is too lanky and light-built to have the reserve power at the finish of a race which is necessary for a good stroke oar when it comes to driving a boatload of oarsmen.

Saturday's races revealed the lack of endurance of both University crews occasioned by constant rough water in the Basin which greatly reduced the number of long, hard rows. As a result Coach Brown is now starting his men in earnest on the long grind in preparation for June 21.