AWARD OF NINE BOWDOIN PRIZES IS ANNOUNCED

BRYANT WINS $250 FOR ESSAY ON "FATE IN HARDY'S NOVELS"

The announcement of the award of 12 prizes, including the nine Bowdoin prizes given annually for excellence in literary work, was made yesterday at University Hall. Four of the prizes were given to students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences while five were awarded to Seniors.

Lynwood Sylvester Bryant '29, of East Northfield was the recipient of the first undergraduate Bowdoin prize of $250 in English for an essay entitled, "Fate in Hardy's Novels". Two second prizes of $100 each were awarded to Robert Gorham Davis '29, of Cambridge, and to Harold Freeze Folland '29, of Salt Lake City, Utah, for essays on: "Discors Concordia" The Imagination of John Donne", and "Theophilus Cibber: An Essay in Biography," respectively. Three other Seniors received Honorable Mention. These were Kermit Negley Murdock '29, of New York; Dana Morton Doten '29, of Cambridge; and Alfred H. Hirsch '29, of White Plains, New York.

Both Bowdoin prizes, for the best translations, in Latin and in Greek, submitted to the Department of Classics, were won by John Primott Redcliffe Maud '29, of London, England. Each of these prizes was $50. The John Osborne Sargent prize of $100 for the best metrical translation of a lyric poem of Horace was awarded to Gerald Frank Else '29, of Kansas City, Missouri, and Honorable Mention went to David Demarest Lloyd '31, of Plainfield, New Jersey, and Ethelbert Talbot Donaldson '32, of Tuckahoe, New York.

The prizes awarded to graduates were divided among four different departments of the graduate school. First prizes of $200 each were awarded to Henry Siggins Leonard 2G, of Newton, for his essay on "Plato's Theory of Logical Division" and to Chester Linn Shaver 1G, of Somerset, Pennsylvania, for an essay named "The Moral Idealism of Aeschylus." "Hunting Oil with Dynamite," by Lewis Don Leet 2G, of Cambridge, and "Aspects of the Control of Animal Conduct," by Theodore James Blanchard Stier 4G, both brought second prize awards of $100 to their authors.

The Sales Prize of $60 to the best scholar in Spanish was awarded to Frederic Kappeler Arnold '29, of Framington Centre with Ernest Martin '29, of Taunton receiving honorable mention. The Jeremy Belknap Prize of $50 for the best French composition written by a first year student in the college or Engineering School was awarded to Bertram Henry Schaffner '32, of Eric. Pennsylvania, and Honorable Mention was made of Ernest Julian Greenhood '32, of Brookline, and Jacob Canter '32, of Newton.