BATTING AVERAGES MOUNT IN FACE OF BETTER HURLING

The batting averages of the Crimson nine climbed six points as a result of the last four contests, despite the fact that three of the games were among the hardest on the schedule. Before last Saturday's game, in which the University sluggers found the Red and Blue pitcher for but four scattered hits, the team bade fair to reach the .300 mark.

J. A. Prior '29 has continued to lead his diamond colleagues with the willow, having boosted his average three points to a .422 average. E. H. McGrath '31 and T. W. Gilligan '31 have succeeded in maintaining their positions in second and third place respectively. Captain G. E. Donaghy '29 has found his way into the .300 class, while A. G. Whitney '29 and B. H. Ticknor '31 have been expelled from baseball's elite.

McGrath has garnered more safeties than any of his teammates. He is also the leading run-scorer, and stands well up among those who have driven in the most runs. The scintillating Sophomore shortstop vies with Gilligan, for honors in pilfering sacks off opposing catchers.

The fielding of the team has maintained itself at its former high, the .946 average being only a fraction of a point higher than that of two weeks ago. The team's record to date stands at nine victories, four defeats, and one-tie. Howard Whitmore '29 has won five games, lost one, and tied one.