Crimson Golf Team Inaugurates Unique Experiment in Match With University of Oregon--Players to Compete With Par

A match unique in the annals of competitive golf will begin today when the Harvard golf team holds a 36 hole meet with the University of Oregon.

Don Moe, Oregon '31, and state amateur champion was the originator of the plan to promote intercollegiate golf through the interest aroused by such an experiment as playing a golf match by telegraph. His idea is for Harvard to chose a course which corresponds as nearly as possible to the features of the Eugene. Oregon, Country Club. The Eugene Course measures 6425 yards long, is par 72, has very few bunkers, and has its second nine laid out through trees. By chance the Belmont Springs Course, where the Harvard team plays regularly is greatly similar to this, with the exception that par is 71.

In the actual playing of the match each team will have "old man par" as an opponent and the result between this encounter will determine the outcome. That is, the Harvard number one player will play against the Oregon number one man only indirectly since their efforts will be directed against the par of each hole on their own course. A player will receive one point for a par, two points for a birdie (one under par), and three points for an eagle (two under par). At the end of the match the player having the greatest number of points will win the match against the opposing player of corresponding ranking on the other team.

The results will be exchanged by wire at the conclusion of the match, in this way allowing two teams to compete for the paltry sum of a few dollars which could otherwise be unable to play each other without an outlay of hundreds of dollars. Of course this is only in the nature of an experiment, but the interest lies in the fact that, as far as is known, no such contest has ever been staged.

The Oregon team is a very strong one, being composed of Don Moe. . No. 1: George Will, No. 2: William Palmberg. No. 3; and Francis Keitkemper. No. 4. They will play in order against Phillips Finlay '31, W. P. Arnold Jr. '31, E. B. Murphy '31, and J. B. Baldwin '31. With the exception of Finlay the Harvard team is composed entirely of Massachusetts men making the match Oregon against Massachusetts players.