THIRD UNIVERSITY CREW BEATS LIGHTWEIGHTS

Former Sophomore Class Crew Defeats 150-pound Eight by Ten Feet--Crews Entrain for Philadelphia

In an informal race rowed upstream from Cottage Farm Bridge to the Newell boathouse yesterday afternoon, the third University crew defeated the University 150-pound boat by a scant decklength on what was approximately the Henley distance.

The Junior class crew, which also rowed, kept pace with the two leading crews for the first quarter mile, but gradually dropped behind after that point. The lightweights continued to keep the half length's lead over the third University crew which they had taken early in the race, responding to every attempt the latter made to pass. At the bend in the river by the Weeks bridge the leading crew increased its margin, but dropped back again when it had the outside on the next bend. At the finish it was almost a dozen feet behind the hand-pressing third University shell.

After the race the shells were shipped off, and the two crews entrained at the South Station for the American Henley races which will be held tomorrow afternoon on the Schuykill.